Amount of RNA in fibroblast cells

Jim Owens jow at
Wed Jul 7 13:16:26 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul7.160445.19255 at> Jim Owens,
jow at writes:
>>Does any one have a general number for the amount of RNA in a
>>mouse fibroblast cell. I am doing total RNA isolation and
>>would like to know if I am in the ballpark for the numbers
>>I am getting. Thanks in advance.
>This should be a FAQ somewhere.  Anyone know where to look?
>Sambrook et al. on page 7.2 say:
>"A typical mammalian cell contains about 10^5 micrograms of RNA, 80-85%
>of which is rRNA (chiefly 28S, 18S and 5S).  Most of the remaining 15-20%
>consists of a variety of low-molecular weight species (tRNAs, small
>nuclear RNAs, etc.)...In contrast, mRNA, which makes up between 1% and 5%
>of the total cellular RNA, is heterogeneous in both size ...  and

See also Molecular Biology of the Cell, 2nd edition, p531:

Mouse L cells in culture.  "Each cell contained 26pg of RNA (5X10^10
nucleotides of RNA), of which about 14% was located in the cell nucleus."
 The citation is Brandhorst and McConkey, J Mol Biol 85:451-563, 1974.

Jim Owens