Giardia Cysts

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Fri Jul 9 08:43:24 EST 1993

In article <21i1amINNosc at hpsdlss5.sdd.hp.com>, denson at sdd.hp.com (Craig Denson) writes:
>  can anyone tell me how long giardia and giardia cysts can survive
>out of water - or point me to some literature? the response to this
>question in rec.backcountry was less than definitive. the context for
>the question is: what do i need to do when my 'good' water container
>gets contaminated  - flushing it is obvious - but i wondered if just
>drying it out for a hour or so was sufficient.
>
>craig

Craig,
There's a nice review article in the May '93 issue of Journal of Food
Protection [vol.56(5):451-461] by James Smith on both Cryptosporidium
(i.e., recent Milwaukee municipal water problem) and Giardia.  It lists the
survivability of Giardia cysts at various temperatures for so many days,
etc.  I don't recall anything about drying, but I wouldn't think that
drying for only 1 hr would be sufficient.  It does list some studies
examining the effect of various sanitizers
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284    *
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953    *
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu  *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                          *