Need Safeguards for Gene-Tinkered Foods

John McCarthy jmc at SAIL.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jul 9 21:02:58 EST 1993

In article <C9xCvw.GDL at world.std.com> megbrown at world.std.com (Meg S Brown) writes:

   Newsgroups: sci.bio.technology,bionet.general,bitnet.listserv.biosph-l,alt.health.alternative,alt.sustainable.agriculture,rec.food.cooking,sci.environment
   From: megbrown at world.std.com (Meg S Brown)
   Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1993 01:16:43 GMT

   In all this talk of genetically engineered food, no one has mentioned how
   these veggies TASTE.  Isn't that important?  For instance, I rarely buy
   tomatoes in market because they feel like they are made out of wood and
   cardboard would taste better.  If an engineered store tomato tastes as
   good as what I can get out of my garden, I MIGHT buy it.  Otherwise,
   forget it.  I don't care how herbicide resistant it is - flavor is what I
   am looking for.

   Just a thought

   megbrown at world.std.com Novice fisher who cooks and gardens

Your problem with store bought tomatoes is currently being worked on
via genetic engineering.  Tomatoes spoil rather quickly, and the American
wholesale and retail system can't get the tomatoes into the stores fast
enough after they are picked.  Therefore, they pick them green and
artificially ripen them with ethylene dioxide?.  Unfortunately, they
aren't as sweet as vine ripened tomatoes.  The solution being sought
is to breed tomatoes with less of the enzyme that causes them to spoil
quickly.  Then they can be picked after ripening.
--
John McCarthy, Computer Science Department, Stanford, CA 94305
*