How animal "rights" activists recruit you unawares (was

Jim Wellehan James.F.X.Wellehan at dartmouth.edu
Thu Jul 22 22:49:57 EST 1993

In article <22cotd$spq at max.physics.sunysb.edu>
mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Holloway) writes:

> The starting point is to reject the philosphy and refuse to debate it.

Wonderfully open-minded.  This is the approach that the Pope used with
Galileo.  Hey- I know what would be fun-let's have an Animal Rights
book-burning.

> People treated animals
> humanely for millenia without "animal rights" (a product of the 70's) and
> we will continue to do so.

People haven't even treated people humanely for millenia.  While I
don't have any problems with legitimate animal research, situations
such as dog tracks and veal farms merit attention. Animal welfare is a
legitimate concern.

> You're a researcher not a philosopher.

I wouldn't want to make the mistake of thinking about the implications
of what I'm doing.

Jim

"Now I am become death; the destroyer of worlds"-from the
Baghavad-gita.  Quoted by Oppenheimer at Trinity.