Human Genome News now available by Gopher
danj at welchdev.welch.jhu.edu
Wed Jul 28 11:50:38 EST 1993
In cooperation with the editors:
Human Genome News - a newsletter for the Genome Project,
can now be read and searched by gopher.
Point your gopher client at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and select:
--> 5. Genome Project/
--> 2. Human Genome News/
Where you'll see:
--> 1. About the Human Genome Newsletter.
2. Search All Issues of The Human Genome Newsletter <?>
3. Browse The Current Human Genome Newsletter (July - 1993)/
4. Browse through all issues of The Human Genome Newsletter/
Here you can search all the issues of Human Genome News, read
the current issue or browse through and read all the back issues.
To search all the issues simply select:
--> 2. Search All Issues of The Human Genome Newsletter <?>
and enter a word or series of words that describe you interests. You will
then see a list of articles that have at least one of the words you typed
You can further modify your search by use of the words 'and' and 'not'.
pcr and mouse
will select articles which contain both the term 'PCR' and the word 'mouse'.
pcr not mouse
will select articles which contain the term 'PCR' but which do not contain
the word 'mouse'.
You may also use wildcards (*) to search for partial words. If you wanted
to search for the words - genome, genomes, genomic, genomics .... You would
simply use -
Finally to do a very restrictive search you may use a phrase search ("....").
For example you could search for -
To read the current issue of Human Genome News select:
--> 3. Browse The Current Human Genome Newsletter (July - 1993)/
and you'll see the following:
--> 1. Insurance Task Force Makes Recommendations.
2. Elizabeth Thomson Joins NCHGR ELSI Branch.
3. DOE ELSI Program Emphasized Education, Privacy.
4. U.K. HGMP Encourages CAD Access.
5. Future Directions of Human Genome Project Considered.
6. NCHGR Sequencing Workshop Studies Goals, Technology,.
7. Correction to Contact Information.
8. NCHGR Supports Pre- and Postdoctoral Training.
9. NCHGR Holds YAC Library Workshop.
10. 1993 DOE Postdoctoral Fellowships Announced.
11. NCHGR Establishing Genome Science and Technology Centers.
12. GDB 5.1 Includes Accession Numbers.
13. Important Notice--GDB Internet Address Change.
14. GDB User Support, Registration.
15. GDB, OMIM Now on WAIS.
16. dbEST Database for Expressed Sequence Tags.
17. NCHGR Documents.
18. Repetitive-Element Searching.
19. Human Chromosome Workshops-Chromosome 8.
20. Human Chromosome Workshops-Chromosome 9.
21. Calendar of Genome-Related Events.
22. Training Calendar.
23. U.S. Genome Research Funding Guidelines.
Simply select and read any article that you would like to
(of course the date and contents will change as new issues come out).
To browse through all the back issues select:
--> 4. Browse through all issues of The Human Genome Newsletter/
And you'll see:
1. Spring and Summer - 1989/
2. Winter, May, July, September, and November - 1990/
3. January, March, May, July, and September - 1991/
--> 4. January, May, July, September, and November - 1992/
5. January, March, May, and July - 1993/
Pick a year and you'll see:
--> 1. Human Genome News (January - 1992)/
2. Human Genome News (May - 1992)/
3. Human Genome News (July - 1992)/
4. Human Genome News (September - 1992)/
5. Human Genome News (November - 1992)/
Pick the issue of interest and read all the articles that you would
The gopher version of the Human Genome News has been developed by
Dan Jacobson - for questions about this service e-mail a note to
danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu.
A special thanks goes to Beth Owens and Betty Mansfield at ORNL.
For more information about Human Genome News itself:
Managing Editor: Betty K. Mansfield
Editors/Writers: Anne E. Adamson,
Denise K. Casey,
Kathleen H. Mavournin
Production Manager/Editor: Judy M. Wyrick
Production Assistants: K. Alicia Davidson,
Larry W. Davis,
Sheryl A. Martin,
Laura N. Yust
Betty K. Mansfield
P.O. Box 2008
Oak Ridge,TN 37831-6050
BITNET: bkq at ornlstc
Internet: bkq at ornl.gov
Daniel W. Drell
DOE Program Office
Germantown, MD 20545
Internet: drell at mailgw.er.doe.gov
NIH National Center for Human Genome Research
Bethesda, MD 20892
Internet: lsf at cu.nih.gov
This newsletter is prepared at the request of the DOE Office
of Health and Environmental Research and the NIH National
Center for Human Genome Research by the Biomedical and
Environmental Information Analysis Section of the Health and
Safety Research Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, which
is managed by Martin Marietta Energy Systems, Inc., for the U.S.
Department of Energy, under Contract DE-AC05-84OR21400.
More information about the Bioforum