being recrutied unawares vs. being intimidated out of the

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Fri Jul 30 11:58:53 EST 1993

In article <CAxsHw.2wA at dartvax.dartmouth.edu> James.F.X.Wellehan at dartmouth.edu (Jim Wellehan) writes:
>In article <23668i$lj0 at max.physics.sunysb.edu>
>mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Holloway) writes:

>> Within the slander bag of animal "rights" propaganda there is no end
>> of "extremes" to which the cruel researcher will go.  This is probably
>> not the stuff to which you were referring but I'm still left in the dark
>> as to what examples you were referring to.  Could you expand on that?
>
>While I am by no means accusing you of cruelty to animals, IMO any
>moral position where one has complete certainty is extremist.  Animal
>rights activists are 100% sure they're right and refuse to consider
>your position.  You're 100% sure they're wrong.  This leaves no room
>for exchange of ideas.
>
>Jim

Perhaps more detail to the question was necessary.  I was hoping that Jeffery
Fried, or someone, could explain what actions they believe are taking place
within biomedical research that requires a "balancing" with the views of
activists who are out of the mainstream.  It's my hope that focusing on any
preconceptions might illuminate why some people in the field of biomedical
research, but not familiar with animal "rights" activism, might be
willing to accept the propaganda and philosophy without first giving the
matter sufficient thought or research.  I've met such people in my own
experience and I think that some of exchanges here in bionet.general also
show an unfortunate willingness to accept the animal "rights" propaganda.
The acceptance seems to grow from the fact that it is a topic that relates
to their own work and because they mistakenly believe that it reflects
mainstream thought on concerns for animal welfare.

Mike
mhollowa at ccmail.sunysb.edu