How much homology is needed to function?

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Wed Jun 2 14:29:46 EST 1993

In article <16BE0C0C5.SHICKLEY at VM.TEMPLE.EDU> SHICKLEY at VM.TEMPLE.EDU writes:

>SMALL areas of homology on primary sequences. The "patches" of homology
>did show up on helical regions which probably need to be aligned for
>the binding to occur, but it was suprising to me that something functional
>actually popped out of the primary sequence homology studies.
>My feeling is now that some homologies, albiet small or with low overall
>scores, may have an interesting function which may be uncovered with some
>experimentation.

In FEBS 282:175-177 there's a paper entitled "Sequence similarity between
opioid peptide precursors and DNA-binding proteins" in which there is
reported what appears to be fairly good similarity between prodynorphin,
proenkephalin and some Drosophila HLA DNA binding motifs.  It seems pretty
silly without any functional relevance to show an evolutionary relationship
doesn't it?  Couldn't it simply be coincidence?

Mike