Ribbon Diagrams of Proteins

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Wed Jun 2 12:25:50 EST 1993

In article <Roberts_D-020693093437 at riversend.bms.com> Roberts_D at BMS.COM (Dan Roberts) writes:
>Is there a program out there that will draw diagrams of proteins using the
>ribbons and barrels to represent different structure motifs within the
>protein??  Or, are all those nice protein diagrams that we see published
>nowadays still artistic representations???
>
>Dan Roberts

Point you gopher client at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and select the following:

 -->  3.  FTP Sites For Biology/

   -->  8.  CCP4 - Programs for Protein Crystallography (U.K.)/

There is a ribbon package here - but it's in Fortran so you'll need
a Fortran compiler.

or choose:

 -->  17. FLEX 3D from The Scripps Institute /

  Whose readme says:

".... On some machines, the view style can be changed to include spheres,
ribbons, ball-and-stick, atom labels, and stereo."

FLEX is *large* - over 20MB compressed.

There are other ribbon packages around but these are the ones
which come to mind which are gopher/ftp'able.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu