?End of Internet as we know it

Thomas Chimento chimento at ursa.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 3 10:42:14 EST 1993

In article <1uj0m7$5pt at max.physics.sunysb.edu>, mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Holloway) writes:
|> In article <1993Jun2.165551.21612 at news.arc.nasa.gov> chimento at ursa.arc.nasa.gov (Thomas Chimento) writes:
|> >
|> >Cant someone please give me for free what I want and make someone else pay
|> >for it? Afterall, I'm special. I'm poor.

|> Paying for a service is not an option for a grad student here.
|>
|> The services I see being talked
|> about are things that have little or nothing to do with biomed research
|> communication.  How much of an increase in price would be reasonable?  2-3
|> fold?  That would be enough to shoot this place down.

I cant believe that a grad student working in a research lab at SUNY
could not have the lab supply an e-mail account and access to an
appropriate bulletin board. You dont pay for using the phones do you?
Even though I had virtually no salary support as a grad student, I still
had access to all the tools I needed. Lets face it the burden will fall to
the professors and University.   I dont think 2-3 fold is reasonable. I
dont think it is likely either. Unless you view the current system as
free, then it gets hard to put multipliers on the cost.

Thomas