?End of Internet as we know it

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Thu Jun 3 20:27:56 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun3.154214.1743 at news.arc.nasa.gov> chimento at ursa.arc.nasa.gov (Thomas Chimento) writes:
>In article <1uj0m7$5pt at max.physics.sunysb.edu>, mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Holloway) writes:
>|> In article <1993Jun2.165551.21612 at news.arc.nasa.gov> chimento at ursa.arc.nasa.gov (Thomas Chimento) writes:

>I cant believe that a grad student working in a research lab at SUNY
>could not have the lab supply an e-mail account and access to an
>appropriate bulletin board. You dont pay for using the phones do you?

Very nearly, yes!  You would have trouble believing (though I'm sure
other readers here can back me up) just how computerphobic the average
biomed researcher is.  MD's are worse.  God almighty could not get these
people to accept that the average researcher needs anything more than a
pirated copy of Wordstar.  I am now sitting in front of a PC that I went
through a great deal of trouble to pay for and put together myself.  Half of
it is discarded junk.  I have access to the net through a department modem
and a seldom used ability of a registered student here to get an account on
a system without any accounting.  If the executive committee of my program
knew I was posting to something that they'd understand only as a "computer
bulletin board" they could use it as grounds for my dismissal from the
program!

I don't think I'm alone in these experiences.  There is already enormous
disincentive against use of the net by bio researchers.  An increase in
price, regardless of whatever benefits would accrue, would stop the increase
in acceptance of network use among this group of users.

Mike