need examples of protein signal sequences

Dan Jacobson danj at
Sat Jun 5 22:52:22 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun5.141949.24717 at> mlevin at (Michael Levin) writes:
>     I am looking for examples of protein signal sequences - short (on
>the order of 4 amino-acids) patterns of amino-acids which serve as a
>signal (so that something particular happens to proteins carrying
>them). An example is the KDEL signal (for endoplasmic-reticulum
>retention). I am not intrested in large domains (such as zinc fingers,
>etc.). If anyone knows of a recent review which covers several of
>these, please email me at mlevin at Otherwise, I'd be
>happy to collect responses from people who know of different ones
>(please include either a good reference, or as much info as you can on
>the signal, which proteins have it, and what it does). Thanks in
>Mike Levin

Point you gopher client at and select the following:

-->  13. Search Databases at Hopkins (Vectors, Promoters, NRL-3D, EST, OMIM/

 -->  9.  Seqanalref - Sequence Analysis Bibliographic Reference Data Bank <?>

Now search for -

signal and data and bank

also try -

signal and database

signal and peptide

signal and amino

signal and protein

This should find you a variety of information.

Similar searches of the Gentools Bibliography may also be helpful -

 -->  14. Search the GenTools Bibliography <?>

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at