Official White House Email Address (fwd)

Robert Preston rapr at MED.PITT.EDU
Sun Jun 6 17:35:34 EST 1993

> From: harper at convex.csc.FI (Rob Harper)
> Subject: Re: Official White House Email Address
> Date: 5 Jun 93 07:38:02 GMT
>
> ..... Perhaps they don't reply to foreigners:-)

  Why _would_ they reply to non-constituents?? Does this, then, mean
  that a first level of sophistication is already in place in the
  white house system, despite their supposed naivete?

> If indeed the goverment is interested in getting feedback from the
> people I think it is a bit naive of them to set up a couple of
> userids. They are going to get swamped with letters, and who is going
> to spend time to sort out the gold from the dross.

  Hopefully a staff that has tolerance for, and openness to, a diversity
  of opinions different from their own?

> much effort... ( well except for me and Dan Jacobson of course )

  :-(

> So it is rather pitiful that the White house should open up two
> userids, one for the president and one for the vice-president.
> I should imagine that the whole exercise will tell them a few facts
> that everyone who networks already knows.
>
> 	1) There are lots of people using E-mail
> 	2) Lots of E-mail is drivel
> 	3) Information overload is a problem
> 	4) Filtering the important from the unimportant is a man's job
>
> The technological breakthoughs will not take place at the white house.
> They are already happening on the net. The only thing that we should
> be happy about is that they are rubbing the sleep from their eyes, and
> starting to wake up. We can only hope that the breakfast of E-mail
> that they eat is not so insipid that it makes them yawn, and sends them
> back to bed.

  I guess you have to start to wake up before you can wake up, if that's
  what is going on here, after all.  That would be enough to be happy
  about, wouldn't it, that a start has been made?  Do you have to have
  the perfect (according to your humble opinion) system in the first
  incarnation?  If so, nothing would ever be borne.  Finally, filtering
  the important from the unimportant may actually be a woman's job,
  so you and I might never have a shot at it :-)

Robert A. Preston
UPMC Dept. Pathology
rapr at med.pitt.edu