Cell Imaging System

Dr Jim Cummins cummins at CSUVAX1.MURDOCH.EDU.AU
Sun Jun 6 19:27:02 EST 1993

On 2 Jun 1993, Mohammed Kazam Najafi Koopai wrote:

> 	Hi everybody,
>
> 	I am working on a project that involves biological
> 	cell image analysis. Our application requires a real time image
> 	processing system that, given the microscopic images of the
> 	experimented cell, outputs the centroid position and orientation
> 	of the cell. This information is then used to measure DiElectroPhoresis
> 	characteristics of the cell.
>
> 	The system contains a microscope which is focused on the cells
> 	floating in a transparent chamber. A CCD camera grabs the microscopic
> 	image at the rate of 30 frames/second. An image processing block is
> 	needed to get the image and calculates the centroid of the floating
> 	cell at the same rate. The orientation of the cell is also required
> 	to be found. The orientation of the cell is needed to measure the
> 	rotational speed of the cell. In our application, there are many
> 	cases in which the cell is spinning in its place and the spinning rate
> 	is desired.
>
> 	Currently, an image processing hardware made by Matrox Company, Quebec,
> 	Canada (Imager-AT 1987) together with a software is being used.
> 	However, the following difficulties in our system have been encountered
> 	so far:
>
> 		- Although the spherical cells are chosen for this experiments,
> 		  the cell images obtained are not always spherical. The non-
> 		  uniform density of the inner part of the cell is the main
> 		  reason for this appearance. This appearance causes faulty
> 		  detections of the centroid position. The image analysis
> 		  system has to reconstruct the real shape of the cell before
> 		  centroid detection.
>
> 		- The process is not fast enough to detect quick cell movements.
>
> 		- The frames with multiple cells yield erroneous centroid
> 		  position. The system cannot distinguish between the cells.
>
> 	We might have to use a faster hardware.
>
> 	An alternative solution to this problem can be using Analog
> 	Position Sensor ICs. But I do not know of the ICs available or
> 	where to start looking for these ICs.
>
> 	I would appreciate if anybody can help me or give some pointers in this
> 	regard. If you know of anybody working on a similar project please let
> 	me know. Please send me E_mail at the following address:
>
> 				najafi at enel.ucalgary.ca
>
> 	Thank you in advance.
> 	Kazem Najafi

Check out the various systems that are now available for looking at sperm
motion analysis.  Hamilton Thorn Research has a new system that uses 60f/s
video and has a number of advanced options for specifying motion
parameters.  I'm not sure whether it would be able to handle your
particular problems, though.  Email me directly if you want further info.

Jim Cummins
Murdoch University
Western Australia