Maximum Body Temperature of a Camel ?

A.H. Henry mbahh at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 9 12:26:51 EST 1993

Does anyone know how high a camel's body temperature can get
before the camel dies ?  If not, are there any references which
might help ?

There is a recent Nature paper which has identified antibodies
from camels (Camelus dromedarius) with no light chains.  Could
this increase their thermostability ?

The reference is "Hamers-Casterman et al., (3 June 1993) Nature, 363,
pp 446-448.  Naturally occurring antibodies devoid of light chains."

I have to say that I've got this bizarre image of someone trying to
insert a thermometer into a camel with heat stroke  :)

                Andrew  Henry

Biochemistry Department                 Tel   (0225) 826826 ext 5411
University of Bath                      Fax   (0225) 826449
Great Britain.                          email  bspahh at gdr.bath.ac.uk