Maximum Body Temperature of a Camel ?

Edwin Barkdoll barkdoll at lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 9 13:11:26 EST 1993

In article <1v56grINNj48 at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk> mbahh at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk (A.H. Henry) writes:
>Does anyone know how high a camel's body temperature can get
>before the camel dies ?  If not, are there any references which
>might help ?
>
>There is a recent Nature paper which has identified antibodies
>from camels (Camelus dromedarius) with no light chains.  Could
>this increase their thermostability ?
>
>The reference is "Hamers-Casterman et al., (3 June 1993) Nature, 363,
>pp 446-448.  Naturally occurring antibodies devoid of light chains."
>
>I have to say that I've got this bizarre image of someone trying to
>insert a thermometer into a camel with heat stroke  :)

	Even when somewhat water deprived, camels maintain their core
temp below about 40.5 C in the Sahara, so the upper limit must be
above this point.  Try K. Schmidt-Nelson (1964) _Desert Animals_
Clarendon Press or CR Taylor (1970) Dehydration and heat: effects on
temperature regulation of East African ungulates _Am. J. Physiol._ vol
219. Also AO Elkhawad (1992) Selective brain cooling in desert
animals: the camel (Camelus dromedarius), Comp Biochem Physiol A
101(2) 195-201.

--
Edwin Barkdoll
barkdoll at lepomis.psych.upenn.edu