GFAP references/info

Garrett H. Riggs GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Fri Jun 11 21:09:25 EST 1993

Dept. of Anatomical Sciences & Neurobiology
Phone: (502) 588-7288

Hello, all.

I am using a polyclonal antibody to GFAP to examine astrocyte
distribution in the dorsal cochlear nucleus of the hamster.
(Finding some interesting results, too, I might add!)

Although I am accumulating a good bibliography, I wonder if
anyone can direct me to a good, recent, comprehensive review
of the state of the art re: GFAP.

Also, while I haven't seen anything in print to this effect,
many of my colleagues tell me it is "common knowledge" that
a given GFAP antibody may (1) not label all astrocytes, (2) not
label all processes of an individual astrocyte, and (3) may
sometimes label non-glial elements in vitro (e.g., neurons).

Any comments on this?

Thanks in advance.  I will summarize to the net if warranted
by interest....

Garrett

Garrett Riggs
BITNET: GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM
INTERNET: GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU

Department of Anatomical Sciences and Neurobiology
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Louisville, Kentucky  40292  USA