BTK-MCA/metabolic-reg

David Fell daf at bmsmetcon.oxford-brookes.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 08:13:22 EST 1993

Una Smith writes:

> John Wood's description of this mailing list sounds virtually identical
> to many of the long-running discussions in bionet.info-theory.  I suggest
> that the current subscribers join bionet.info-theory rather than creating
> yet another newsgroup.

I am sure the fallacy in the following proposition is easily spotted:
Cats have four legs.  Therefore animals with four legs are cats.

Una Smith's proposition strikes me as the same: information theory
discusses these topics, therefore these topics are information theory.

I would not want to denigrate information theory and I would accept
the possibility of its application in metabolic regulation, but as a
matter of record, little of the extant work uses information theory.
In any case, metabolic-reg would not be different from many other
bionet groups that are classified by their biological topic rather
than the practical or theoretical tools they use.

David Fell
daf at bms.brookes.ac.uk