Marsupial DNA/Library Needed

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Wed Jun 16 08:20:55 EST 1993

In article <1vi11g$fhb at rigel.fccc.edu> brunk at cygnus.fccc.edu (Brian Brunk) writes:
>I am studying the evolutionary conservation of a mammalian enhancer element
>and would very much like to sequence a marsupial element.  Anyone having or
>knowing of a marsupial genomic library or even DNA, ....

Point your gopher client at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and select the following:

 -->  15. Searching For Biologists/

   -->  2.  Search for All Researchers funded by NIH <?>

Now search for your favorite marsupial -

opossum and dna

will yield several entries, one of which is as follows:

-----------

PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR

MIGEON, BARBARA R
JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL
600N WOLFE ST
BALTIMORE, MD 21205-2196
PERFORMING ORGANIZATION: JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY
TITLE   Genetic studies of human somatic cells

ABSTRACT:

    We plan to continue our investigations of X inactivation and
    genomic imprinting in human females by exploring the molecular mechanisms.
    As X inactivation is the means of X dosage compensation in all mammals and
    features that differ among mammals are useful in dissecting components of
    the mechanisms involved, we will continue studies of X inactivation in
    marsupial and mouse as well as human cells.
    1.   Our previous studies of X inactivation in germ cells suggest that
    gametic differences in DNA. methylation could provide the *molecular basis
    for at least some phenomena attributed to parental differences in genomic
    imprinting.  We will extend these studies by examining the methylation
    status of pre-meiotic and meiotically arrested female germ cells, and
    primordial germ cells of both sexes.  We will analyze methylation using
    antibodies to 5-methylcytosine in histological preparations of gonads, and
    develop a method for PCR amplification from small numbers of germ cells,
    so as to examine specific HpaII sites.  Using in situ hybridization we will
    determine if methyltransferase is expressed in unmethylated cells.
    2.   Our studies of marsupial cells show inactivity of the paternal
    G6PD allele despite absence of DNA methylation and raise the possibility
    that an inhibitor complex may be silencing the G6PD
    locus.  We will look for such proteins using in vivo footprinting of the
    G6PD-CpG island by, ligationmediated PCR.
    3. We will explore in more detail the role of DNA replication in
    reactivation and reversal of X
    inactivation by examining replication of inactive and reactivated genes on
    X chromosomes in mousehuman hybrid cells.
    4.   In search of sequences involved in early steps of X inactivation,
    we will identify the X chromosome segment required for inactivation using
    mouse-human hybrid cells containing X chromosomes with deletions in the
    region considered to be the putative X inactivation center in mouse and
    man.  To identify the "essential" segment we will define the minimal area
    of overlapping sequences present on deleted human X chromosomes that are
    inactive, and the limits for the region of homology with the putative
    inactivation center on the mouse X, and will look for conserved cDNAs,
    expressed in early mouse embryos and mapping to this segment.

KEYWORDS:
         opossum
         laboratory mouse
         biological polymorphism
         biochemical evolution
         meiosis
         hybrid cell
         heterokaryon
         fluorescence activated cell sorter
         polymerase chain reaction
         early embryonic stage
         egg /ovum
         germ cell
         chromosome disorder
         sex linked trait
         genetic disorder diagnosis
         genetic manipulation
         genetic mapping
         genetic marker
         genetic registry /referral center
         molecular cloning
         genome
         autosome
         sex chromosome
         cytogenetics
         gene expression
         genetic library
         gene induction /repression
         chromosome aberration
         chromosome translocation
         human population genetics
         genetic recombination
         cell transformation
         hypoxanthine phosphoribosyltransferase
         human subject
         antibody
         glucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
         Lesch Nyhan syndrome
         in situ hybridization
         complementary DNA
         DNA
         DNA methylation
         DNA replication
         DNA footprinting
         gel electrophoresis
         density gradient ultracentrifugation
         placenta
         protein biosynthesis
         nucleoprotein
         cytosine arabinoside
         female
         tissue /cell culture
         methyltransferase
         human genetic material tag

--------------

If you've never heard of gopher, don't worry, it's free and on the net.
Write me a note if you'd like information on how to get started.

Another approach:

A gopher search of genbank picks up a few marsupial entries - look up the
citations and call the authors.

  AUTHORS   Peacock,W.J., Dennis,E.S., Elizur,A. and Calaby,J.H.
  TITLE     Repeated DNA sequences and kangaroo phylogeny
  JOURNAL   Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 34, 325-340 (1981)

------

  AUTHORS   Mitchell,M.J., Woods,D.R., Wilcox,S.A., Graves,J.A. and Bishop,C.E.
  TITLE     Marsupial Y chromosome encodes a homologue of the mouse Y-linked
            candidate spermatogenesis gene Ube1y.
  JOURNAL   Nature 359, 528-531 (1992)

------

  AUTHORS   Wainwright,B. and Hope,R.
  TITLE     Cloning and chromosomal location of the alpha- and beta-globin
            genes from a marsupial
  JOURNAL   Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 82, 8105-8108 (1985)

------

  AUTHORS   Schneider,S., Vincek,V., Tichy,H., Figueroa,F. and Klein,J.
  TITLE     MHC class II genes of a marsupial, the red-necked wallaby (Macrepus
            rufogriseus): Identification of new gene families
  JOURNAL   Mol. Biol. Evol. 8, 753-766 (1991)

------

  AUTHORS   Catanese,J.J. and Kress,L.F.
  TITLE     Opossum serum alpha-1-proteinase inhibitor: purification, linear
            sequence and resistance to inactivation by rattlesnake venom
            metalloproteinases
  JOURNAL   Biochemistry 33, 509-515 (1993)

------

  AUTHORS   Kaslow,D.C., Migeon,B.R., Persico,M.G., Zollo,M., VandeBerg,J.L.
            and Samollow,P.B.
  TITLE     Molecular studies of marsupial X chromosomes reveal limited
            sequence homology of mammalian X-linked genes
  JOURNAL   Genomics 1, 19-28 (1987)

------

  AUTHORS   Koop,B. and Goodman,M.
  TITLE     Evolutionary and developmental aspects of two hemoglobin beta-chain
            genes (epsilon-m and beta-m) of opossum
  JOURNAL   Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 85, 3893-3897 (1988)

------

  AUTHORS   Juppner,H., Abou-Samra,A.-B.B., Freeman,M.W., Kong,X.F.,
            Schipani,E., Richards,J., Kolakowski,L.F.Jr., Hock,J., Potts,J.T.,
            Kronenberg,H.M. and Segre,G.
  TITLE     A G-protein linked receptor for parathyroid hormone related peptide
  JOURNAL   Science 254, 1024-1026 (1991)

------

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson