Duplex Quiz

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Tue Jun 15 21:48:45 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun13.171218.10164 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, GBCA26 at VMS3.GLA.AC.UK ("David Leader : Glasgow University Biochemistry        : UK") writes:
>As co-author of a text book on nucleic acids, I received the following
>enquiry from a reader in Italy:
>
>	Who first suggested the term "DNA duplex"  ?
>
>I suppose the average molecular biologist around today wan't born when the
>term was coined, but although I was - oh those grey hairs - I don't know
>the answer. Anybody out there does?
>
>David Leader,
>University of Glasgow.
>
>PS
>I suppose I should offer a copy of the text-book as a prize, but then I'd
>have to mention its name, which might be construed as advertising for
>personal gain. Ho ho.

Could it be none other than Watson and Crick?

	Watson, J.D., and Crick, F.H.C. 1953. A structure for deoxyribose
	nucleic acid.  Nature 171:737-738.

A paperback copy will do just fine.

-Peter
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284    *
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953    *
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu  *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                          *