JURASSIC PICKLES

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Jun 16 18:53:12 EST 1993

I got a giggle out of this one, so I thought I'd repost it here.
Hope you enjoy it too...

-Paul.

Article 11308 of soc.penpals:
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1993 17:05:25 EDT
From: <AVM100G at ODUVM.BITNET>
Newsgroups: soc.penpals
Subject: Re: JURASSIC PICKLES

Steph:

Are those of us who belong to the scientific community, stalwart in our
cynicism and pompous rhetoric, supposed to believe in "Jurassic Pickles?"

I think it well-nigh impossible to actually extract DNA from Mesozoic-aged
cucumbers which were trapped in containers filled with salt, garlic and
vinegar, much the less splice in nucleotide sequences from radishes and
kumquats to complete degraded genetic codes.

However, if it is true that you have done this, then what is next; Silurian
sauerkraut, Cambrian chili-peppers, Devonian devilled-eggs?

Good God, woman, where will it stop? Science has at its core a tradition of
patience, wisdom and restraint. It's only when our lust for applied technology
outpaces our ability to apply it thoughtfully that such abominations occur.

I urge you again, Ms. Worley, think deeply before undertaking this project.
We are Mankind, after all...not Devo!
   AUSTIN V. MCCLAIN             -|-     "ENJOY THE LAND, BUT-
 AVM100G at ODUVM.CC.ODU.EDU        -|-               OWN IT NOT..."
 OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY         -|-                       H.D. THOREAU