Log of FCC

Tom Schneider toms at fcs110c.ncifcrf.gov
Sat Jun 19 18:26:11 EST 1993

In article <9306191334.AA14989 at deca> hrs at ABERYSTWYTH.AC.UK writes:

| >I have long suspected that there may be a way to express metabolic regulation
| >in terms of information theory, but I've been too busy with other things to get
| >to it.  So although it may not appear relevant at first glance, there may well
| >be common ground here.  Information theory is extremely general.
|
| >> It's a different theory.  Have you ever heard of Flux Control
| >> Coefficients (possible the most basic concept of our theory) mentioned
| >> on info-theory?
|
| >Hmmm... I wonder if taking the log (base 2 of course) of the FCC's would
| >suggest ...
|
| >  Tom Schneider
|
| Probably nothing, because the FCCs are already in log form (to the base 2
| of course). The FCCs are ratios of fractional changes of a variable
| with respect to a parameter and I shouldn't think one could draw much
| more info by logging again.

So - not knowing about FCC's - there is the possibility that these Flux Control
Coefficients can _already_ be interpreted as having units of bits!  Two
questions come up: what exactly is a FCC (besides Frederick Community College)
and whether one can interpret them as measuring some kind of choice being made
by the system.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology