ALZHEIMER DISEASE INTERNATIONAL

Nadia Diakun-Thibault ab341 at Freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Jun 20 20:43:43 EST 1993

         ALZHEIMER DISEASE INTERNATIONAL (ADI)

           "Global Challenge, Local Action"

            9th International Conference of
           Alzheimer's Disease International
             Hosted by Alzheimer Canada
               September 20-22, 1993
                  Toronto, Ontario
                       Canada

WHAT IS ADI?

Alzheimer's Disease International (ADI) was launched in 1984, in
Washington, D.C., when the Alzheimer's Association of the United
States called a meeting with the encouragement of the World
Health Organization ((WHO) and invited representatives of
Alzheimer's Societies in Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom.

A volunteer-oriented, ADI was established to promote charitable,
educational and scientific purposes around the globe. The national
organizations, who are members of ADI, represent families and
professionals world-wide who are affected by Alzheimer's Disease.

Each group works to develop local organizations and family support
groups as well as educational and scientific programs within its
country.

WHAT IS ALZHEIMER CANADA?

Beginning in 1977, the Alzheimer Society of Canada was the first
national society of its kind. Throughout the organization's
fifteen years of service, it has grown to represent a significant
voice in the volunteer health and welfare support system.

This rapid advancement was a response to the growing needs of many
Canadians for an organization that helps families and people
affected by Alzheimer Disease. Public Awareness and Education,
along with Research and Advocacy, are the Society's primary
objectives and are supported by a strong Fund Development Program.

Through over 100 provincial and local organizations, the Society
provides information and support to persons with Alzheimer
Disease, their family members and health care professionals
across the country.

WHY SHOULD I ATTEND?

ADI will provide an opportunity for researchers, clinicians and
other health care professionals to come together from around the
world to join in a lively interchange of information about
exciting advances in Alzheimer's research, treatment and care.
Family caregivers, concerned volunteers and support group members
will enjoy the diverse program as experts from around the world
explore the challenges of Alzheimer's Disease, and address issues
facing caregivers, professionals and researchers and the ways we
can help change the future of Alzheimer's care.

HOW CAN I REGISTER?

Contact Alzheimer Canada in Toronto for a registration form:
BE SURE TO REGISTER BEFORE JULY 15, 1993 TO RECEIVE A DISCOUNT.

               Alzheimer Society of Canada
               1320 Yonge Street, Suite 201
               Toronto, Ontario
               M4T 1X2

        (416) 925-3552        FAX: (416) 925-1649

     PLEASE MENTION THAT YOU SAW THIS POSTING ON FREENET

MORE ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
(Tentative Schedule)

Monday, September 20th
----------------------
Report on Canadian Study on Health and Aging
An International Perspective of Prevalence Studies
Significance from a Service Planning Perspective
Impact on Women

Tuesday, September 21st
-----------------------
Caregiver Needs: Do we know how to help?
Advocacy: Influencing Public Policy

Wednesday, September 22,
------------------------
Cause and Treatment: Overview and Update

TOPICS OF CONCURRENT SESSIONS

"Alzheimer's Disease and Aluminum: Clarifying the Confusion"

"Doing Things on Purpose: Planning and Presenting Meaningful
 Activities for Persons with Alzheimer Disease"

"Brainstorming the Alzheimer's Dilemma: Quality Care Outcomes for
 People with Dementia and their Caregivers"

"Guidelines for Care: Some International Examples"

"Genetic Testing Programs for Familial Alzheimer's Disease:
 Technological, Ethical, and Legal Considerations"

"Designing Responsive Environments for Persons with Alzheimer's
 Disease"

"Family Caregiver Issues in Special Care Units"

Participants of the Conference will be able to tour the Tanz
Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases at the
University of Toronto.
###

--
| Nadia Diakun Thibault       <<>> "One never notices what has   |
| ab341 at FreeNet.Carleton.Ca   <<>>  been done; one can only see  |