gopher and password

Rob Harper harper at convex.csc.FI
Tue Jun 22 03:58:25 EST 1993

In <1A2AD72A195F0086DB at UPR1.UPR.CLU.EDU> C_REYES%RUMAC at UPR1.UPR.CLU.EDU writes:

>Dear netters:
>	I am trying to use gopher and am pointing it to the node:
>merlot.welch.jhu.edu. I do reach it but don't get in. They ask me for
>Login: I type "gopher" BUT, when they ask me for Password: WHAT SHOULD
>I TYPE?. I guess I need to subscribe first, BUT HOW?

Looks like you are opening a TELNET session and not a gopher session.
Most gophers require that you have a gopher client installed
on your own machine and you would then give the command

gopher merlot.welch.jhu.edu

and that would take you into the menu. There is no need to subscribe.
Such a command does not exist in gopher space. There are a few public
access gophers where you can open a telnet session to a host
and login as gopher. If I remember correctly there is a list of them
in the gopher FAQ.

RGDS -=ROB=-
 Rob Harper                        E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
 Center for Scientific Computing   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
 Tietotie 6, P.O. Box 405          Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
 SF-02101 Espoo Finland            Fax:             +358 0 457 2302