Isolation of Demodex Mites from sebum

Mr C M Hodgson lsrbd at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 13:34:18 EST 1993

We are seeking ideas, methods and reagents for the extraction and enrichment
of Demodex folliculorum mites from sebum.

Does anyone have any recommendations - we have attempted detergent treatment
of the sebum and combined this with cycles of vortex mixing, brief
centrifugation and microscopical analysis of the softened pellet. We are
able to observe reasonably intact individual mites, but are plagued by
debris !

Any advice will be greatly appreciated on separation methods or ideas on how
we can possibly go about enriching the creatures !

E_mail replies preferred,

Many thanks

Chris Hodgson
Biological Sciences