Need Safeguards for Gene-Tinkered Foods

Sandy Silverman sandy at
Fri Jun 25 11:02:44 EST 1993

>In article <C95F74.IoF at> James.F.X.Wellehan at (Jim Wellehan) writes:
>   From: James.F.X.Wellehan at (Jim Wellehan)
>   Newsgroups:,bionet.general,alt.sustainable.agriculture,,sci.environment
>   Date: 24 Jun 93 23:13:48 GMT
>   Sender: news at (The News Manager)
>   In article <C8zq2I.6M8 at>
>   wcsbeau at (OPIRG) writes:
>   >   All of the transgenic crops have bacterial
 >  > antibiotic resistence and 81% of the tests are for herbicide tolerance
  > > (promoting use of polluting chemicals)
>   Pulling a valid point out of this compost pile, I'd have to agree that
>   it's a shame so much research is aimed toward providing Monsanto et al.
>   with a reason for making more poisons.  They do fund it, but that
>   doesn't mean it should be done.>
>   Jim

	One reason for engineering herbicide resistant crops is that you
may be able to use a less toxic or lower use rate alternative and get the
same protection with a better environmental impact.
Sanford Silverman                      >Opinions expressed here are my own<
American Cyanamid
sandy at, silvermans at     "Yeast is Best"