Need Safeguards for Gene-Tinkered Foods

Bill Pearson wrp at cyclops.micr.Virginia.EDU
Fri Jun 25 08:26:11 EST 1993

In article <C95FHA.IvJ at dartvax.dartmouth.edu> James.F.X.Wellehan at dartmouth.edu (Jim Wellehan) writes:

>And since when have animal rights been antithetical to science?  All
>that most activists are opposed to are some methods.

	You have not been reading talk.politics.animals lately.  The
basic premise of almost all of the organized animal rights groups is
that animal research does not play a fundamental role in biomedical
science.  I have heard again and again that animal experiments are
uninformative - they don't tell us anything about humans - since drigs
must be tested on humans it is an immoral waste to test them on
animals - etc, etc.

	The earlier statement about the misuse of facts by
germ-line-rights/animal-rights extremists was on the mark.  There is
no interest in the facts; the interest is in misinformation and
hysteria.

Bill Pearson