Need Safeguards for Gene-Tinkered Foods

Jim Wellehan James.F.X.Wellehan at dartmouth.edu
Fri Jun 25 18:29:04 EST 1993

In article <SANDY.93Jun25110244 at nmr1.pt.cyanamid.COM>
sandy at nmr1.pt.cyanamid.COM (Sandy Silverman) writes:

>         One reason for engineering herbicide resistant crops is that you
> may be able to use a less toxic or lower use rate alternative and get the
> same protection with a better environmental impact.

Could you please explain this?  It seems to me that if you wanted to be
able to use a less toxic or lower use rate alternative, you would have
to engineer herbicide-susceptible weeds :-).  I fail to see how
resistant crops are good for anything but allowing higher levels of
herbicide to be used.

Jim