Cites for "Need Safeguards for Gene-Tinkered Foods"

Malcolm Davis davis at nod.bms.com
Mon Jun 28 10:52:01 EST 1993

In article <C97sr8.LHG at cunews.carleton.ca> wcsbeau at superior.carleton.ca (OPIRG) writes:

>   In addition, Cummins sent along some other information including an
>   example of what he called a "typical trial approval from Agriculture
>   Canada". Condition #7 says "no alfalfa will be grown after the site
>   for 3 years after the harvest." Condition #8 says "all volunteer
>   plants will be destroyed before setting seed following the test",
>   and condition #9 is "no seed or harvested plant matter will enter
>   human or livestock food/feed chains". Cummins says that this points
>   out that AgCan realizes the risk of gene transfers.

This is an example of a wonderful no-win situation.  If AgCan were to
not take serious precautions, people, such as Dr. Cummins, would be
all over them for not being careful enough.  So to try to avert
argument, AgCan sets up conditions that should be unarguably
stringent.  The first group then points and says "Ah Ha! We told you
this was really dangerous.  If it weren't they wouldn't have taken
such precautions!"  The argument is fallacious.

--
Malcolm E. Davis

USMail: Macromolecular Modeling
        Bristol-Myers Squibb