repetitive elements

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Mon Jun 28 13:00:47 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun28.105438.22359 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.mpg.d400.de writes:

>do any of you have references on the following:
>
>1. what functions do (or can ?) repetitive elements have ? if possible a review
>article or an article which shows some data on this.
>2. i remember a paper in which breastcancer was associated with a jumping
>alu element, do you know the reference ?
>
>i need this info for a publication, could find nothing yet with DIMDI.

DIMDI?

I'd appreciate it if you could post that breast cancer reference if you find
it.

You might try:
Science, 216:1065 -review
For transcription regulation related work:
FEB 251:79 -site specific protein interaction
MCB 9:355 -negative txn reg
NAR 14:6145 -alu silent in Hela cells

You might check into the rat ID sequence story.  Be warned: initial reports
of tissue specific transcriptional regulation activity turned out to be
artifactual.  Sorry, all I have here at the moment is one of the initial
papers.  It shouldn't be hard for you to track down.
PNAS 83:3751

There are a number of reports of recombination taking place between alu
elements:
J Mol Evol 28:306
JBC 264:11394
Cell 48:827

Perhaps this is related to your oncogenesis recollection:
Oncogene Research 4:39 "Increased rate of specific RNA polymerase III
transcription precede overexpression of cellular oncogenes upon induction
of transformation"

Mike
mhollowa at ccmail.sunysb.edu