genetically engineered crops

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Wed Jun 30 08:32:14 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun24.092255.22269 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> Christoph Schller,
CS at abc.univie.ac.at writes:
> What IF a geneticlly engineered organism proves to be fitter?
> Fitness depends on the environment.

That's a good argument.  In fact, this sort of tinkering has been tried
in the past with non-technologically engineered organisms by transporting
organisms to entirely new environments.  For example, rabbits to
Australia.  Results have been unpredictable.  The bad results are well
known, the neutral and good results are less well publicized.

> By the way. Do we need those crops? Today's industrial vegetables
> taste generally not overwhelming but look exciting. What will happen
> if the whole power of genetic engineering will be applied? Better
> tastig Tomatos or better looking (or cubic)?

The plant breeders seem to be aware of this.   The first genetically
engineered crop seeking approval in the US is a "better tasting" tomato.
It may be available in 1994 in grocery stores.  Whether it succeeds
depends on how people feel about eating such a semi-engineered crop.

Jim Owens