Critters in west Texas

Edwin Barkdoll barkdoll at lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 30 10:09:05 EST 1993

In article <20qpr2$8o8 at reeve.research.aa.wl.com> dudleyd at aa.wl.com (Dave Dudley) writes:

>On a recent trip to the Hill Country west of Austin, I encountered an
>insect that is known locally as a "blister bug".  Bites by this beast
>result in pronounced and painful blisters (hence the name, no doubt).
>Does anyone have any additional information on this creature?

       There is a variety of blister beetles (they are true beetles not bugs).
One, _Epicauta vittata_, may infest hay fed to horses causing for example
colic.

>On a similar note, there is also a plant known as a "pea vine" in the area
>that is rather toxic to cattle.  I'd also be interested in any information
>about this.

       Possibly, _Lathyrus_ species.  Can cause so called osteolathyrism and or
neurolathyrism, which are manifest as skeletal and neurological problems,
respectively.  Effects may take a few months to appear unless on a pure
_Lathyrus_ diet which probably doesn't happen naturally.
--
Edwin Barkdoll
barkdoll at lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
eb3 at world.std.com