What's MOO

Simon Blomberg simonb at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU
Mon Mar 1 00:48:24 EST 1993

steffen at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu (David Steffen) writes:

>I would like, if at all possible to move MOO discussions to biomatrix.
>I think they are very on topic for this group (the group organizer,
>Dan Davison, agrees) and it is a much lower volume group than this
>one.

WHOA! mol.biologists hijack J'sHMOO?! :-)

I believe that MOO technology has potential for _all_ biologists, not just
molecular biologists. Sure, this potential has a way to go before it matures
enough to be a useful working tool, but the way to go (IMHO) is to get as many
different sorts of people to participate as possible. The bioMOOers tend to
be mostly molecular/cell biology types at the moment (I have lamented this
during conversations on the MOO). And most of the projects in the bioECC
basement have a mol.biol./genetics angle.

What we need (IMHO) is _more_ participation by all sorts of biologists,
not to sit back and wait until David Steffen (or whoever) dishes out the
"New, Improved, bioMOO", because not only may it not be to our taste, but
some may find that the offering is inedible.

Moving the discussion to biomatrix will just exacerbate the problem. It's not
as if the discussion of the MOO has taken up lots of space on bionet.general
in the past few weeks, anyway.

Just my $0.02 worth. Flame away...I don't care! :-)

Simon (grad student aka "time waster" ;-)  )

--
Simon Blomberg                                   simonb at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU
School of Biol. Sciences, A08