Science Article on Electronic Publishing among Physicists

Littlejohn Tim little at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Fri Mar 5 13:27:06 EST 1993

gilbertd at chipmunk.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:

>I'm for the suggestions by Dave Kristofferson that biologists
>make preprints and/or preprint-abstracts available electronically.
>IUBio archive will be happy to store and serve out thru gopher & ftp
>any such documents.  I have been suggesting that the wordprocessor
>format known as RTF is the closest to a general rich text/document/picture
>file format that many biologists now have access to thru software.
>Note that RTF format is of a kind that can be sent thru e-mail without
>problems, and images can be included in it.

Don's idea is a good one- but usually you don't need to do anything
with the paper except read it, thus a word processor is not necessary.

What about using postscript?  It meets all the requirements of RTF
described above (emailable with images included) AND, thanks to the gnu
team, can be viewed on most hardware/OS platforms for free.  Also,
it is (usually) a simple job to print it out if it's in postscript
format.  The problem is that the files are often VERY big, and so we
potentially also have a bandwidth issue...

Anyway, regardless of which way we want to implement it, the sooner we do
the better!  It's a great idea!

Tim

E-mail:     little at ere.umontreal.ca         Tim Littlejohn

Snail Mail: Departement de biochimie        Phone: (514) 343-7936
            Universite de Montreal          Fax:   (514) 343-2210
            C.P. 6128, succursale A,
            Montreal (Quebec), H3C 3J7
            CANADA