Science Article on Electronic Publishing among Physicists

Fri Mar 5 15:54:38 EST 1993

So far we have heard from the "usual suspects" on the net, i.e., the
crew that is eager to set up the infrastructure.  All of this is great
but so far no one who might actually contribute abstracts has said
"boo."

I'd really like to hear from the biologists in the trenches out there.
Does the idea of a prepublication paper abstract newsgroup hold any
interest for you or not?  Would you contribute the abstract of your
upcoming paper if it was available?  Do the regulations of the
journals that you usually publish in prohibit this???

I am going to cc both BIOFORUM and JRNLNOTE on this (bionet.general
and bionet.journal.note respectively) and adhere to Don's earlier note
that the latter newsgroup is probably a more appropropriate discussion
forum.  Unfortunately it's e-mail subscriber list is still quite
small, so I don't want to turn off the BIOFORUM folks completely.
Perhaps this discussion will encourage more people to sign up for
JRNLNOTE.

Dave