Origin of SEVAG?

wmelchior at ntet.nctr.fda.gov wmelchior at ntet.nctr.fda.gov
Fri Mar 5 10:21:20 EST 1993

In article <93063.204907TGV at psuvm.psu.edu>, TGV at psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> Why is chloroform:isoamyl alchohol 24:1 (commonly used in nucleic acid
> extraction) referred to as "SEVAG"?  Does anyone know or remember, or
> is the origin of this designation lost to time?

The method was described in:

M. G. Sevag (hence the name), D. B. Lackman, and J. Smolens, JBC 124,
425-? (1938).

I've never looked at the reference.  It was given in J. Marmur's "A
Procedure for the Isolation of Deoxyribonucleic Acid from Microorganisms",
Meth. Enz. VI, 726-738 (1961).
Views expressed are not necessarily those of NCTR, its sponsoring agencies,
or the United States government.

Bill Melchior                                ||       MISSING LINK
National Center for Toxicological Research   ||    Man's a kind
Jefferson, AR  72079                         ||    of Missing Link,
(501) 543-7206                               ||    fondly thinking
                                             ||    he can think.
WMELCHIOR at NTET.NCTR.FDA.GOV                  ||       from Grooks, by Piet Hein