Electronic Publication...more than copyright issues...

Ernest Retzel 1535 49118 ernest at lenti.med.umn.edu
Sat Mar 6 10:03:10 EST 1993

Copyrights or not, I think you might be overlooking one aspect of publication,
namely the stipulation that the information not be previously published when
you are considering the concept of pre-publication release.  I mention this
because a colleague here ran into some extremely serious problems in getting an
article published when he press-released the information in the paper himself.
The journal involved was one of the ASM journals, and the reason that he
press-released it was that people were dying from a previously unreported
connection between a product and a disease.

I tried to get in touch with him yesterday, but didn't succeed--I frankly can't
remember what the outcome was in that case, but the editors were not
particularly moved by his reasoning.

Just a thought.

Ernie Retzel
ernest at lenti.med.umn.edu