More on copyright

John Reinitz reinitz-john at cs.yale.edu
Fri Mar 12 18:09:37 EST 1993

In article <113586 at netnews.upenn.edu> weemba at sagi.wistar.upenn.edu (Matthew P Wiener) writes:
>In article <1993Mar11.200702.10520 at news.columbia.edu>, dan at cubmol (Daniel Zabetakis) writes:
>>    In the US, if you pay for something to be printed, it must be
>>marked as an advertisement.
>
>This is utter nonsense.

My, Mathew, getting a little snippy, are we?

I refer you to following: it is from Yasuda, Baker, & Schubiger,
Genes & Development 5:1800-1812: (p. 1811) (the 1st example I could grab)
"The publication costs of this article were defrayed in part
by payment of page charges. This article must therefore be hereby
marked "advertisement" in accordance with 18 USC section 1734
solely to indicate this fact"

>PNAS does this because it's the government printing something the
>government doesn't want to take responsibility for.

Right. Well, G & D is published by Cold Spring Harbor Press, and Cell
(which also has these notices) by the MIT Press. I am not even sure
if the NAS is part of the Govt.

I don't know if Dan's broader point is correct or not... we've both
read the same set of notices. As for your point, *I* would not call it
nonsense. Nevertheless, it is factually incorrect.

>--
>-Matthew P Wiener (weemba at sagi.wistar.upenn.edu)

John Reinitz