CALL FOR DISCUSSION: INFO-GCG/bionet.software.gcg

Wed Mar 17 18:20:24 EST 1993

The INFO-GCG LISTSERV list formerly located at the University of
Toronto is looking for a new home, and its readers have petitioned
BIOSCI to assume responsibility for it.  The following proposal was
put together by John Cargill, the discussion leader of the list.

I wish to preface the proposal by saying that this represents the
first newsgroup on BIOSCI devoted exclusively to a commercial software
package, but I must emphasize that this is an **independent
initiative** of the software users and is not a company-sponsored
newsgroup.  I am still a bit hesitant to get BIOSCI involved in
opening up newsgroups directly sponsored by commercial concerns and
devoted specifically to their products, but this is a debate for
another day.

Proposed USENET name: bionet.software.gcg

E-mail address: info-gcg at net.bio.net
                info-gcg at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion will now be open through 28 March on BIOFORUM/bionet.general
(*not* on BIONEWS/bionet.announce).

Please do not post one-line messages saying only "I am in favor of
such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter and to propose modifications prior to the vote.  The
discussion leader may submit a revised proposal in light of the
discussion, and the new charter would be included in the call for votes
which will go out on 29 March.

Please be aware that only one vote is counted per e-mail address, so
it is necessary to have your own account in order to vote.  Multiple
votes from the same address are not accepted.  If you are interested
in the following newsgroup, but do not have an e-mail address of your
own, please obtain one from your computer center before the call for
votes is issued.

Proposal to establish INFO-GCG/bionet.software.gcg

Discussion leader:  John Cargill
		    Manager of Research Computing
		    Ontario Cancer Institute
		    500 Sherbourne Street
		    Toronto Ontario Canada
		    M4X 1K9

	Tel: (416) 926-4546
        Fax: (416) 926-6529

	Electronic Mail: cargill at ocicl.oci.utoronto.ca

INFO-GCG/bionet.software.gcg charter:

To provide a forum for scientists to share experiences, ideas,
problems, solutions and queries relating to GCG software and/or
research utilizing GCG software.

--

I see INFO-GCG/bionet.software.gcg as a place where users and
administrators of the GCG software system can discuss how to best use

I propose to put this group in the bionet.software.gcg domain of
Usenet because the discussion has too narrow a focus to be included in
the bionet.software domain.

INFO-GCG is suggested as the BIOSCI list name for backwards compatibility
with the previous LISTSERV based INFO-GCG mailing list.

This message is being cross-posted to the INFO-GCG list at Toronto.
The mailing addresses for the BIOFORUM newsgroup are:

Address                              Location
-------                              --------
bioforum at daresbury.ac.uk             Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
bioforum at net.bio.net                 Americas and the Pacific Rim

If you do not have access to USENET news (BIOFORUM = bionet.general on
USENET), e-mail subscriptions to BIOFORUM may be requested from one of
the following addresses depending upon your location.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND SUBSCRIPTION REQUESTS TO EITHER OF THE **BIOFORUM**
addresses.  Subscription mail should be directed to the BIOSCI
addresses.  The biosci addresses are not LISTSERV addresses; they are
managed by humans, so no special subscription syntax is required.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				kristoff at net.bio.net