locus? opinion

jurgenson at iscsvax.uni.edu jurgenson at iscsvax.uni.edu
Wed Mar 17 18:34:11 EST 1993

A locus is a term that was defined in the days when the study of genes relied
on the study of inheritance patterns as measured by a morphological mutation.
It implied both a biological function therefore a genetic unit and a position
in the genome as defined by recombination mapping.  It seems to me that current
technologies that allow definition of position in the genome that to don't rely
on mutation identification associated with function will necessitate revising
the formerly intended definition of the term .  I therefore propose that locus
simply be used to define a genetic map position by any criteria which will
rpobably be placed in the future in maps of DNA sequence ultimately, or in the
meantime a whole array of map types.