DISCUSSION: INFO-GCG/bionet.software.gcg

Gerard Stafleu gerard at uwovax.uwo.ca
Fri Mar 19 07:07:09 EST 1993

In article <1993Mar18.124652.7199 at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu>,
   smith at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu writes:

> Well I am in favor of the new group.  GCG is widely used and having it part
> of the BIOSCI would simplify everyone's lives.  I do not think that the issue
> of it being devoted to a specific vendors product should be a barrier.

I agree.  At our university we try to encourage our users to read the
GCG group, and we have in fact already incorporated it into the bionet
tree (via a locally distributed group which gets its feed from the
bitnet mailing list).  Our users thus know about the bionet groups, and,
being not always the most ardent of computer enthousiasts, they do not
always care to know too much about the other hierarchies.  Having the
new group officially in the bionet tree would therfore make life much
easier for everyone here.

As for the vendor-specific aspect, oposition to that has traditionally
focused on vendors trying to advertise via Usenet, not on user "self help
groups", even if the vendor is so friendly as to try to help their users
with some answers!

----
Gerard Stafleu
email: gerard at uwo.ca
CCS, NSC 202, University of Western Ontario,
London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5B7
(519)661-2151