doing research in biology from another field

CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV
Thu Mar 25 16:03:27 EST 1993

>   I hope someone can give me some advise on this matter.
>
>   I have an undergraduate degree in phyiscs but currently I am working toward a
> master of architecture at MIT.  I do however plan to return to school for Ph.D.
> either in physics or another area of science.  I am intrigued greatly by neuro-
> and congitive sciences as well as genetics.  The question is this: are there any
> physicist out there currently doing research in the field of genetics or
> cognitive science - especially those who did received their Ph.D. in the field of condensed matter?
> If so or not, what may be impedences to this effect? I am interested in anyone's
> view on this matter, physicists or not and especially those who are doing
> research at UW - that's where I did my undergrad.  Thank you.
>
> Albert

Have you considered structural biology?  NIGMS funds a number
of training programs in the area of molecular biophysics.  To
increase the number of people entering this field, these
programs are recruiting students with strong quantitative
skills who are willing to take the time to learn biology.

If interested I can e-mail you a list of funded programs.

Jim Cassatt

PS

Some of our leading molecular biologists had PhD's in physics.