Hillary Rodham Clinton's Sovietology Exercise

Mike Polen mpolen at suntory.mti.sgi.com
Tue Mar 30 20:36:45 EST 1993

Michael Friedman) writes:
|> Bernie Cosell) writes:
|> >Michael Friedman (mfriedma at us.oracle.com) wrote:
|> >} Kate E. Loomis) writes:
|> >} >Regarding the extensive list of names on the "top secret, Soviet-Style
|> >} >health reform task force" : there is no analogy here. These people are
|> >} >not creating policy, they are _drafting a plan_ . ...
|> >} >So what is the problem?
|> >} The problem is that we are supposed to have an open government.  Plans
|> >} that do not require security are not supposed to be drafted in secret
|> >} by people whose names are not even released.
|> >} If nothing else, people who object to the makeup of the task force
|> >} have the right to know who is on it and to present their objections to
|> >} the people of the United States.
|> >By and large, NONE of the government
|> >'plan making' machinery is particularly open.
|> Phrases like "particularly open" or so vague that they are
|> meaningless.  However, can you name another government committee whose
|> members are secret and which is not related to national defense or
|> sensitive foreign policy issues?
It took us about 6 years to find out that Nancy Reagan's astrologer
was a key member of the White House Committee for Planning and Decision
Making.  Are you suggesting that she only advised on national defense
and sensitive foreign policy issues?

These opinions are usually my own, sometimes my dog's,
occasionaly my (grown) children's, never my employer's.