REFERENCE NEEDED !

Francis Ouellette francis at MONOD.BIOL.MCGILL.CA
Mon May 10 19:23:07 EST 1993

In bionet.general you write:

>It will be very appreciated if someone let me know references on EcoRI
>or BglII or BamHI restriction enzymes.
>I'm looking for original papers of these enzymes.

>Many thanks in advance.

>P.S> please send e-mail to LEES at SASK.USASK.CA

1) it is more NEThical to read replies (which may be of use to
others) on the net, and not in private mail *unless* you offer to
summarize and post back to the group ... this must have been your
intention ;-)

anyway ... do you know about gopher?
	   do you know about REBASE?

gopher merlot.welch.jhu.edu

 -->  4.  Genbank, PIR, Swiss_PROT and other Database Searches/

   -->  24. Search Rebase - Restriction Enzyme Database (Hopkins) <?>

(here you type the enzyme you want, the <?> at the end of the
line tells you that you will be asked to type a query word)

For Eco RI you get lots, but the first hit:

        -->  1.  EcoRI.

you get:

This section is from the document '/.INDEX/rebase.data'.

//
ID   EcoRI
ET   R2 M
OS   Escherichia coli RY13
PT   EcoRI
RS   GAATTC, 1;
MS   3(6mA);
CR   A,B,D,E,F,G,H,I,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,U,V,W,X.
CM   B,E,K,L,N,P,R,U,V.
RN   [1]
RA   Dugaiczyk A., Hedgpeth J., Boyer H.W., Goodman H.M.;
RL   Biochemistry 13:503-512(1974).
RN   [2]
RA   Greene P.J., Betlach M.C., Boyer H.W., Goodman H.M.;
RL   Methods Mol. Biol. 7:87-105(1974).
RN   [3]
RA   Hedgpeth J., Goodman H.M., Boyer H.W.;
RL   Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 69:3448-3452(1972).

and for the others you get:

//
ID   BglII
ET   R2
OS   Bacillus globigii
PT   BglII
RS   AGATCT, 1;
CR   A,B,D,E,F,G,H,I,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,U,V,W,X.
RN   [1]
RA   Duncan C.H., Wilson G.A., Young F.E.;
RL   J. Bacteriol. 134:338-344(1978).
RN   [2]
RA   Pirrotta V.;
RL   Nucl. Acids Res. 3:1747-1760(1976).

//
ID   BamHI
ET   R2 M
OS   Bacillus amyloliquefaciens H
PT   BamHI
RS   GGATCC, 1;
MS   5(N4mC);
CR   A,B,D,E,F,G,H,I,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,U,V,W,X.
CM   K,N,U.
RN   [1]
RA   Brooks J.;
RL   Unpublished observations.
RN   [2]
RA   Hattman S., Keisler T., Gottehrer A.;
RL   J. Mol. Biol. 124:701-711(1978).
RN   [3]
RA   Roberts R.J., Wilson G.A., Young F.E.;
RL   Nature 265:82-84(1977).
RN   [4]
RA   Wilson G.A., Young F.E.;
RL   J. Mol. Biol. 97:123-125(1975).

and yes ... gopher (and REBASE) are free and on the net ...

regards,

francis "please set up your gopher client' ouellette

;-)