Documenting Gels: Inexpensive alternatives?

TIM CHIPMAN 901106c at axe.acadiau.ca
Fri May 14 14:59:46 EST 1993

I don't know if this is the best place for this, but here goes:

I have seen some adverts for windows software (PC) that is used to scan
images of agarose gells that are scaned in with a flatbed scanner (this is
all sold in a large, expensive `kit')

I was thus wondering if anyone has had any luck improvising this technique,
simply using scanners to get gel images into the machine.

I have attempted using a standard "Scanman" hand held 32 grey-scale scanner,
but that failed miserably. I also think I can get my hands on a photoman (
logitech digital camera) to try this, but am not sure about how well it will
work.

Has anyone had ANY experience with scanning gels (or any other way of
digitizing images inexpensively?) In specific, the problem of Contrast and
brightness comes to mind....

Thanks!