How to define an Alu repeat?

Billy Li billyli at hkuxa.hku.hk
Fri May 14 21:08:15 EST 1993

Hi,
   Sorry for a stupid question.  I am a statistician, not a biologist
and I need to know the exact definition of an Alu and O family type
repeats.  How did the biologist know what segment of a DNA is such
a repeat as I have seen articles quoting Alu repeats without mentioning
how to determine those repeats.  Is there any algorithm or program
that automatically determine those repeats?
   Please reply by email as all biologist know the answer.

   Thanks in advance.

Billy Li,  email: billyli at hkuxa.hku.hk
Department of Statistics,
University of Hong Kong.
Tel: (852) 8591920     Fax: (852) 8589041