NY Times and The Internet

Matthew Weed weed-matthew at cs.yale.edu
Thu May 20 01:54:49 EST 1993

In article <1993May19.150908.22183 at news.yale.edu> smith-una at yale.edu writes:

>There have been regular mentions of the Internet in the Business
>Section of the NYTimes for months now, particularly with respect
>to plans by the telephone companies (and cable operators) to get a
>piece of the action.  And every week in the Science Times section
>there is an ad for a free initial account from an Internet access
>provider.
>
>But the most striking publicity has been AT&T's new ad campaign with
>Tom Selleck doing the voice over, and images of busy people:  popping
>cards containing their complete medical records from their wallets into
>slots and having X-ray images and text appear on a computer screen;
>holding real-time video telephone calls;  attending a conference via
>computer while lounging in a beach house in a remote tropical place.
>At the end Tom says something like: "you can have all these things,
>and AT&T will give them to you."

I have noted the same commercials, and I'm not certain that
AT&T is trying to use "internet" resources for these purposes.
I believe that AT&T's own satellite resources are
quite sufficient to the task, the internet's (comparatively miniscule(sp))
resources notwithstanding.  The business opportunities offered by
the use of satellite communication are allready apparent,
and will only grow as our satellite communications technology
grows.  The benefits of the internet will grow as well.
Probably at something approaching the same rate as the out and out
business benefits of the new technology.
>The Internet is like the proverbial elephant, surrounded by blind men:
>each one, wishing to possess it, declares what it *is* and assumes that
>possession will follow from understanding.  But, just as the proverb
>tells about the elephant, the Internet is more complex than any of us
>realize (or want to admit), and has a life of its own.

Huh??? I am confused, since the business-related material
does not seem to relate directly to the (directly)
above  statement.  I see a broad difference between business-related
satelliteinformation transfer, and the growing use of the internet
as a source of business advertising etc, which has been referred
to elsewhere.  Can you please restate....

--
"In popular government results worth having, can only be achieved
 by men who combine worthy ideals with practical good sense."