NY Times and The Internet

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Fri May 21 10:17:03 EST 1993

In article <1tf9vpINN1tt at RATTLESNAKE.ZOO2.CS.YALE.EDU> weed-matthew at cs.yale.edu (Matthew Weed) writes:
>In article <1993May19.150908.22183 at news.yale.edu> smith-una at yale.edu writes:

>Huh??? I am confused, since the business-related material
>does not seem to relate directly to the (directly)
>above  statement.  I see a broad difference between business-related
>satelliteinformation transfer, and the growing use of the internet
>as a source of business advertising etc, which has been referred
>to elsewhere.  Can you please restate....

As I've understood it, the proposal has been made that the government help
fund the construction of a new high speed fiber optic network that companies
like AT&T could then use to provide services.  Perhaps AT&T could use
satellites to augment a network but it seems that the satellites would not
suffice.  The fear then is that this would necessarily mean that the
government would discontinue funding of the existing Internet networks and
the cost of doing what we're doing now will sky-rocket.  Do I have this right?

Mike