Shortage of biologists?! Need YSN contact for protest.

Bill Pearson wrp at cyclops.micr.Virginia.EDU
Fri May 21 11:41:46 EST 1993

In article <1tita9$in5 at max.physics.sunysb.edu> mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Holloway) writes:
>In article <CMM.0.90.2.737925832.kristoff at net.bio.net> kristoff at NET.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) writes:
>>
>>I noticed sometime back that in many smaller schools the professors
>>were faced with a shortage of students which translates into not
>>enough hands to do research in their labs.
>
>Could these schools have actually been more concerned about not have an
>excess of applications so that they could be selective?  It gives faculty
>members a warm feeling when they believe that they have been able to
>choose the "superior" student.  I know that the concerns here have been
>about the supposed "quality" of the applications.  There's no lack of
>quantity.

	At least at the University of Virginia, this statement is
simply not true. Most of the bioscience graduate programs here have a
difficult time attracting as many qualified domestic graduate students
as they would like.  There is no shortage of foreign students.  The
departments I am familiar with make offers to every domestic student
that they think would successfully complete the first year course
work.  We sometimes find that we have been over optimistic, and some
of these students leave after the first year.

	There is a severe shortage of qualified domestic graduate
applicants.  It is my impression, although I do not have as much hard
data, that there is also a shortage of post-doctoral candidates who
are perceived to be good enough to be likely to be hired as an
Assistant Professor at a research university after 4 years or so.
Certainly I have not heard of many successful graduate students who
have had much difficulty getting several offers for good - usually
funded - post-doctoral positions.

Bill Pearson