Bouncer from RVS22 in Japan

Thu May 20 19:33:05 EST 1993

I received three separate queries today from people who posted to the
newsgroups yesterday and received a bounce from RVS22 in Japan.

Two points:

(1) This was a little unusual because many of the bouncers that occur
when people leave their institution are routed back to our
BIOSCI-REQUEST address and are trapped here.  In this particular case,
the systems people at that site set up a program to specifically mail
out the message that was received by our users.

(2) The address was removed from our lists yesterday when we first
started getting these, but there was a bit of a delay in the BITNET
system (this was a BITNET address) and so some of these messages
continued to arrive back this morning.  None of them to my knowledge
were routed back to the newsgroups, but only to the people who posted
messages to groups containing the RVS22 address on the distribution
list.

As a general rule, we receive copies of bounced mail to our
BIOSCI-REQUEST address (mentioned in the FAQ) and take action on them,
so there is no need for users to report these.  However, our trapping
mechanism can be defeated in some cases by some non-Internet networks,
so, if you receive a bouncer repeatedly, please feel free to forward a
copy of it (include the entire mail header, not just the text) to
your regional biosci address for action:

Subscription Address                 Location
biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
biosci at net.bio.net                   Americas and the Pacific Rim

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson