NY Times and The Internet

Michael Holloway mhollowa at ic.sunysb.edu
Sat May 22 15:02:52 EST 1993

In article <1tj9hlINN8lf at MINERVA.CIS.YALE.EDU> smith-una at yale.edu writes:

>Yes, as far as I can tell.  The telephone companies already have a deep
>involvement, in that their right-of-ways, their hardware, and their
>expertise have all been used to construct the physical networking infra-
>structure that supports the Internet.  The Internet is made up of layer
>upon layer of hardware and software technology, and so who decides what
>new technologies are going to be used in the future is of vital economic
>and perhaps social importance.  I think it's apparent that there will be
>one super-network, and everyone will have a hand in it:  whose hand will
>be on top?

What will happen to the existing hardware when the fiber optic cable is
laid?  Will key elements of existing hardware be canabilized for the new
network or will the existing structure be allowed to continue as a
"poor man's network"?  After all, will academic centers be able to afford
the new services?  Will we even want them?  With AT&T and others so heavily
involved does this necessarily mean that the costs of the new network will
be greater than that of the existing one?

Is this the right newsgroup to be posing these questions?  Is there a
discussion elsewhere?  Is this too many questions?

Just curious,
Mike